. . . . . . . League Rules
Rain Policy: In case of rain it is the responsibility of the teams to call Sports Express (398-2400) to find out the status of the games. If the courts are flooded or we have had consistent heavy rain we will call the games off by noon. If the weather is questionable we will wait until 5pm to make the final determination. The 1st rain week we encounter will be added to the end of the schedule. Keep playing the schedule as it reads on the website. Any more rain weeks will not be made up. League fees have been reduced to a point where this policy make sense for everyone.
KIDS IN THE SAND - PLEASE KEEP TRACK OF YOUR
CHILDREN WHILE YOU ARE AT SPORTS EXPRESS. THE COURTS ARE FOR ADULT GAMES,
NOT FOR SAND BOX ACTIVITIES. We
have a small sand box near the building if kids wish to dig in the sand.
1. All matches are played 3 games to 25, win by 2. The 3rd game may be rally scored to 15 points (win by 2) in order to keep games running on time. Each match should take a maximum of 55 minutes to be completed.
2. Coed 6 person teams must use an alternating line-up (man-woman). In 4 person games, teams can line-up in any order but must keep the serving rotation the same.
3. The ball may not be held, lifted, pushed, caught, carried, or thrown. Some leniency will be given in the "C" leagues.
4. A block does not constitute a contact. You get 3 hits after the block.
5. Double hits and lifts will be called when setting. The rotation of the ball when it is set does not determine whether or not a setting fouls has occurred but, heavy forward or backward spin and any side spin is a sign that a setting foul has occurred. (a judgment call). The ball must travel in the direction that you are attempting to set or a double contact will be called. A set that goes over the net is not necessarily a bad set but it must go in the general direction that you are facing.
6. The 1st ball (each time the ball crosses the net) can not be set in Coed 4 person leagues. the 1st ball can can be set in Coed 6 person leagues but not on the serve. If the ball falls through or rolls off your hands a lift can be called.
7. You may kick the ball
but not wildly and please be careful!
8. You can play a ball that is going in the grass except on the back line with the wood border. You must keep both feet inside the wood on that end of the court.
9. You are allowed 1 re-toss per serve. Your 2nd toss must be served or a sideout will be given.
10. The ball must pass between the poles to be in play.
11. Sports Express will provide 2 game balls for each court for warm-ups. If your team needs more than 1 ball to warm-up with then you need to bring more.
12. Teams are given a 5 minute grace period after their start time to field a team or else a forfeit of the 1st game will be given. Another forfeit will be given after another 5 minutes and the match is forfeited after 15 minutes. If both teams are short players then the game is simply not played and no forfeits are given. There are no rosters. You can bring a different team each week or carry as many players as you like on your team. You can also pick up players from other teams if you are short, but only 1 player from a higher league level can substitute for your team at a time.
13. Teams get 1 timeout per game and they do not carry over to the next games if you don't use it.
14. You must have 5 players to start a 6 person match and 3 to play quads. No more than 3 men can play at one time in a coed 6 person game. You can have more than 3 women playing at one time.
15. There will be a flip of the coin to determine who gets the serve and who chooses the side. This will be done before the 1st and 3rd games. The 2nd game will simply be the reverse of the 1st game.
16. There is no "ghost rule" in effect. There is no penalty for playing a player short.
17. If your team is not listed on the schedule, you have a BYE.
19. League champions are determined by winning percentage. In the case of a tie we will use a head-to-head tie-breaker. If the teams did not play each other during the session we have co-champs.
20. League fees are due by the 2nd week of the session. Teams need to pay with 1 check or credit card, or bring all the individual check in at one time. It is the captains responsibility to collect the league fees from his or her team.
Play Ball . . . . . . . . .