. . . . . . . Youth League Rules
Rain Policy: In case of rain it is the responsibility of the teams to call Sports Express (398-2400) to find out the status of the games. If the courts are flooded or we have had consistent heavy rain we will call the games off by noon. If the weather is questionable we will wait until 4pm to make the final determination on the 5:30 game times. The 1st rain week we encounter will be added to the end of the schedule. Keep playing the schedule as it reads on the website. Any more rain weeks will not be made up. League fees have been reduced to a point where this policy make sense for everyone.
KIDS IN THE SAND - PLEASE KEEP TRACK OF YOUR
CHILDREN WHILE YOU ARE AT SPORTS EXPRESS. THE COURTS ARE FOR ADULT GAMES,
NOT FOR SAND BOX ACTIVITIES. We
have a small sand box near the building if kids wish to dig in the sand.
1. All matches are played 3 games to 25, win by 2. The 3rd game may be rally scored to 15 points (win by 2) in order to keep games running on time. Each match should take a maximum of 55 minutes to be completed.
2. In 4 person games, teams can line-up in any order but must keep the serving rotation the same.
3. We are going to be fairly lenient on calling double contacts in the sand to encourage more rallies. A "bad" set that crosses the net will be called due to the advantage that is being gained.
4. Players can setthe ball over the net if they are facing where they are setting. You can not side set over the net.
5. A block does not constitute a contact. You get 3 hits after the block.
6. You are allowed to receive the serve with an open hand (set the serve) which is not typical in sand doubles play. This goes for any 1st ball across the net just like in indoor play.
7. You may not kick the
ball except as a defensive move to dig it where you do not swing at it.
8. You must have at least one foot in the sand to play the ball. You can then finish in the grass if you were on the run.
9. You are allowed 1 re-toss per serve. Your 2nd toss must be served or a sideout will be given.
10. The ball must pass between the poles to be in play. There are no antenna in these league.
11. Sports Express will provide 2 game balls for each court for warm-ups. If your team needs more than 1 ball to warm-up with then you need to bring more.
12. Teams are given a 5 minute grace period after their start time to field a team or else a forfeit of the 1st game will be given. Another forfeit will be given after another 5 minutes and the match is forfeited after 15 minutes. If both teams are short players then the game is simply not played and no forfeits are given. There are no rosters. You can bring a different team each week or carry as many players as you like on your team. You can also pick up players from other teams if you are short. If you forfeit on a given week you are responsible for the entire ref fee for that match. This is paid to the office who will cover the ref for the forfeit when it happens.
13. Teams get 1 timeout per game and they do not carry over to the next games if you don't use it.
14. You must have 5 players to start a 6 person match and 3 to play quads. There is no "ghost rule" in effect. There is no penalty for playing a player short.
15. There will be a flip of the coin to determine who gets the serve and who chooses the side. This will be done before the 1st and 3rd games. The 2nd game will simply be the reverse of the 1st game.
16. Players may serve from 1/2 way in the court in 4th grade. Girls in the 5th and 6th grades can overhand serve from one step in the court. If they move any further in the court (up to 10 feet) the player must serve underhand. In the 7th and 8th grade leagues players can overhand serve from behind the end line or they can step inside the endline and serve underhand. &th and 8th graders can not move any closer than 5 feet in the court.
17. If your team is not listed on the schedule, you have a BYE.
19. League champions are determined by winning percentage. In the case of a tie we will use a head-to-head tie-breaker. If the teams did not play each other during the session we have co-champs.
20. League fees are due by the 3rd week of the session. Teams need to pay with 1 check or credit card, or bring all the individual check in at one time. It is the captains responsibility to collect the league fees from his or her team.
Play Ball . . . . . . . . .